I want to share a story with you.
When baby elephants are brought in to be trained for the circus they are full of fight and almost uncontrollable. To combat this, the trainers have to drive a ten foot pole into the ground and shackle the elephants leg on to the pole with a heavy duty chain to ensure it won’t break free. The story goes that the elephant will try and try and try for a few days relentlessly to break away from that chain that is holding them back. After a few days though, the elephant finally gives up and stops trying.
Fast forward 20 years and 10,000 pounds – that same elephant which once had to be held back with the most formidable of shackles now is constrained by a single stake in the ground and a rope!
Don’t see it? Let me lay it out for you – you are the elephant and the rope is now your limiting beliefs in your life. Why can a 13,000 lb elephant be constrained by a rope and a stake (which they could easily walk away from) but a baby elephant must be chained up to a pillar and chains? Because the adult elephant gave up. That elephant (you) stopped trying to push back against the norms and have accepted mediocrity.
Lucky for us, it doesn’t have to end up this way. We can break through these limiting beliefs and create a truly incredible, authentic life. All we must do is start a reverse engineering process with ourselves. We have to be honest with ourselves and ask this one question – “Where in my life am I being held back by a tiny rope tied to a shaky stake?” Who is keeping you from breaking free and creating value all over the place? The answer is You. Start with yourself, be honest, and go get yours.
Plan of Action
- Identify areas in your life where you can break out of the “norms,” and ask yourself where in your life are you holding yourself back?
- Tip – If you find yourself saying “That’s the way I’ve always done it,” or “That’s how everyone does it,” these are areas where you need to start changing
- When you look at a situation and everyone is going “all in” on 1 idea – play the devil’s advocate in your own mind and trust your gut – do not be afraid to stand out.
- “What’s popular is not always right, but what is right is not always popular”
- Start. Be a thought leader. Always be Honest with yourself
- No matter where you go, there you are.
That’s All For Now,
“Be Great, Nothing else Pays.”[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]